Sunday, July 06, 2014

To Smyrna and back

Today I rode with the usual suspects (Scott, Jill, Steve and Juli) and spent just as much time laughing as I did pedaling. 
We tried to stay on gravel as much as possible because...well, dirt and gravel are so much more fun then pavement!
#wedon'tlikepavement
After miles and miles of dirt roads, a few sprints towards stop signs (where I lost repeatedly), and a few sprints to escape dogs, we reached our destination of Smyrna. Actually our destination was a small bakery/store in Smyrna which happens to have the best no-bake cookies on the planet.
Salsa love!
Yum!
Most of the ride was at an endurance pace but we did throw down a few times at the "stop ahead" signs. Sadly, I was the only person to NOT win a sprint today. Do you want to know what the opposite of sprinting is?? Me!!!! I suck so bad at it and I do EVERYTHING wrong! My friend Steve actually beat me in a sprint with both of his hands off of his handlebars. How is that even possible??? Scott was trying to give me tips but they kind of went in one ear and out the other. 

However, I did learn a few things. 

1. I need to stop laughing right before I am about to sprint.

2. I need to quit looking at my friends like a crazy person (while laughing) to see if they have noticed the "stop ahead" sign. 

3. I need to quit trying to sprint while in my hardest gear. Trying to sprint with a rpm of 40 just doesn't cut it. 

I hope to get many, many more of these rides in over the month of July, so hopefully there will be some improvement. And I plan on doing all of my gravel days on my Beargrease, because it is by far my #1 training bike. 

And speaking of my Beargrease, by the time I pulled into my driveway I had ridden 75 miles on it. This weekend was a great training block with a little over 15 hours in 3 days. I'm definitely ready for a rest day tomorrow though, because I'm pretty sure I'm going to be dragging!

No comments: