Monday, May 19, 2014

Stuck in a Steady State

This past weekend was really great. There were two awesome races nearby but my legs were so toasted from my week of training that I wasn't at all bummed out about missing them. It felt really good to stay at home and just hang out.

Last week all of my workouts were short, BUT my coach scheduled 3 days of steady state intervals. These intervals are my LEAST favorite to do, which means that they are probably really good for me to do. If I had my way I would want to do long mountain bike rides every day...but that won't make me stronger/faster.
Even though I do intervals on pavement I always take the dirt road home!
It's probably a good thing that my workouts were short last week anyways because I've been trying to keep Ben calm. That's easier said then done. He had a small tumor removed from his side (which was benign-YAY!!!) and has stitches in his side for the next two weeks. Jeannie spent the entire day looking for him and was so, so excited when he came home.
BFF's
Completely whacked out...
The first day it was super easy to keep him calm as he was really groggy from surgery. He slept all day, but by night time he was "available for stomach rubs."
By day 2 he was back in business. I was barely out of bed when I heard a giant thud and found Ben and Jeannie flipping over each other.  As crazy as this sounds I had never really seen dogs play before we got Ben and Jeannie. We only had Naomi (our greyhound) and she sleeps about 22.5 hours of each day. Trust me when I say it was a complete eye opener. The best way to describe the way that Ben and Jeannie play is "BEST DAY EVER" combined with a football game. They sprint and tackle each other, and do flips, and more flips until they both collapse on the ground. It's so much fun to watch because they have so much fun. Anyways, trying to keep them from playing for the next two weeks is taking a lot of walking and a lot of bones.

There's a lot going on this week, but all good stuff. I'm going to be talking about the Yeti Beti Bash with the race director this coming Wednesday on Girls and Gears.  The show will be live at 8 p.m. E.S.T...HERE IS THE DIRECT LINK to the show! The Yeti Beti Bash looks like a great event on so many levels. First of all, it's the largest women's mountain bike event in the country. Secondly, they have freaking Noosa yoghurt sponsoring the pre-ride. I...love...Noosa, especially the lemon flavor. There's a bunch of other cool things that they have planned for the weekend and we will cover it all...so be sure to tune in. And speaking of Mountain Bike Radio, there are 7 days left to order this Simply Ride Tee. I definitely have one coming :-)

Then this weekend I'm racing the Hanson 50/100 miler. I'm doing the 50 miler and I have to admit that it feels weird not signing up for the 100 miler. But doing the 50 miler will allow me to put in a good hard effort without needing so much time for recovery. That way I can keep training for Lumberjack...which is going to be here before I know it. Agggghhhhh!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Your dogs are too funny!