Monday, May 12, 2014

Stony Creek 6-Hour Race Report!

Now that summer-ish weather has finally arrived I really hope that time slows down. This weekend flew by way to fast!

On Saturday I drove over to race the 6/12 hours of Stony Creek with my favorite travel buddy. The 6 hour race didn't start until 2 p.m. which gave us the luxury of driving over in the morning without feeling rushed.
Obligatory #roadtripselfie
My favorite bike shop in the world was nice enough to let us use the shop van again, which allowed us to bring a tent and a few other things I wouldn't be able to fit in my Fiesta!
We arrived with plenty of time to set up the tent and get our gear ready. I had my hydrapaks and bottles already filled with CarboRocket beforehand so I didn't have that much pre-race prep to do.

At the Cohutta 100 I remembered everything except Chamois Butt'r. I texted Carey Lowery, she brought some samples for me, and then I still forgot to use it.  And do you know what happens when you race 100 miles with temps in the 80's and forget Chamois Butt'r??? Bad things happen, that's what. This time I actually remembered to bring (and use) the Chamois Butt'r that Carey gave me down in Tennessee.
It was my first time using the Her' Chamois Butt'r,  and I can't say that I noticed a difference from the regular Chamois Butt'r. But I can say, without a doubt, that the difference between USING IT and NOT USING it is HUGE. Take my advice (especially all you endurance racers), don't forget the Chamois Butt'r!!!

Jills parents were nice enough to drive over to do our support and cheer us on, and before I knew it we were all lining up at the start. We took off and I found myself sitting about 5th or 6th behind a group of guys as we began the first climb. Another girl flew past most of the guys (and me) but I had no clue who she was or if she was racing solo versus a team. All I knew was that she was a really strong climber. I resisted the urge to hop on her wheel because I knew that we still had about 5 hours and 58 minutes left of racing :-) Shortly after we entered the singletrack she pulled over to let us pass and I took the lead out of the females.

It felt great to be racing on singletrack again. Each lap was 10-ish miles long and the first two flew by. I started to feel HOT on my third lap, which is funny (or NOT funny) because I think temps were only in the mid-60's. Clearly I need to acclimate A LOT more.  I kept leap-frogging back and forth with my friend Bryan but other then that I didn't see many other racers.

However, I did see a lot of other recreational people throughout the race. I'm not sure if it was because of the nice weather or because it was Mother's Day weekend but there were a TON of people out there. I felt like I was racing in my own little world but kept getting glimpses of other peoples adventures. There was a guy wearing a stocking cap and carrying a guitar (he was very serious), lots of dog walkers, a few hikers with walking sticks, and a lady standing in the middle of the trail reading a book. I lost track of how many pictures being taken that I raced through and I tried my best not to splash people as I blasted through the puddles.

The temperature dropped as the sun started to go down and I felt WAY better on my last two laps. Mentally the last two are always easiest (for me) as well. Stony Creek doesn't have any big hills but it always amazes me in endurance races how each "little" incline gets longer and steeper with each lap.
I LOVE this bike...but after 6-hours I was happy to cross the finish line.
I managed to get 7 laps (70 miles) in 6:06, which was good for 1st place out of the females and 2nd overall out of the guys! Yay!
Huge thanks to Jill's parents for doing our support, cheering for us and helping us pack up! Talk about a pro-pit crew. They will be ready for when Jill does her first 12-hour race!

As soon as awards were done we hopped back in the van and headed to (where else?) CHIPOTLE! It was amazing. 
Dear Chipotle, please, please, please, please, please, PLEASE sponsor us!
The drive back went by super fast, probably because we both had to recap every single moment of our races. This was Jills first endurance race and she finished 3rd...I think she's hooked! I finally pulled into my driveway around 1 a.m. and was happy to see that Scott and the dogs had waited up for me. Actually....I suspect they all fell asleep on the couch and were just pretending to be awake when I walked in the door :-)

I was so hyped up from the race that I wasn't able to fall asleep until after 2 a.m. Ugh! I thought I would sleep in but woke up early and starving!!! Apparently the dogs went shopping for me while I was racing because there was a "mother's day card from the dogs" waiting for me. I don't have to change poopy diapers...but I DO have to pick up a lot of poop :-)
Thanks dogs :-)
After breakfast I put my helmet back on, jumped on my fat bike and headed over to ride in our first  CycloFemme ride. The ride was just what the coach ordered. A easy pace followed by fro-yo!

Thank you twin six for another favorite t-shirt!!!

This picture cracks me up because see that random arm in the air? It's mine...I was trying to show off my CycloFemme tattoo. I'm such a dork!
I'm really glad that we have so many great endurance races in the state that I can use for training. Being able to get a really good race/workout in AND spend time at home with family and friends is priceless. I still have a looong way to go between now and Lumberjack though!





No comments: