Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Hello 2014

It's a New Year since my last post! Actually so much has happened since my last post that it seems like an entire year has passed. Mostly I've just been really busy at work, and majorly sleep deprived. Things are slowing down a bit now and I finally have time to get more than 5-6 hours of sleep. I'm hoping to catch up on a few blogs and maybe even organize the enormous pile of single socks I have collected over the last month.

Anyways to sum up the best parts of last week...

We adopted Jeannie on New Year's Eve. Technically she was supposed to be our Thanksgiving weekend with Fido guest from the Humane Society but once she jumped into Scott's car it was all over. She fits in with our family perfectly.

Naturally I had to take a picture to announce her adoption. It took about 100 tries. As you can see, only one dog was really listening to me...
Finally I managed to get all dogs looking up at the same time...
But this one is my favorite...happy, happy dogs!
A few days after that Jill and I headed up to race the Fat Chance Fat Bike Race at Crystal Mountain. Thanks to Grand Rapids Bicycles we were able to go up the night before, have a great dinner and sleep in a bit on race day. It was so nice being able to do that.

One of the things that I love about the Great Lakes Fat Bike Series is that all of the races have different formats. The Fat Chance race was 2 hours long and on a 3.75 mi course. Whoever put in the most laps won. The course was pretty flat but it was still challenging. It was a mixture of snow covered doubletrack and awesome singletrack. I loved, loved, loved the singletrack sections.
Scott drove up on the day of the race and it was so much fun having him on the course. He had a way better start then me but I used him as my rabbit for the remainder of the race. A lot of the course looped around in a way that you could see the people behind you. Whenever he would see me I would point at him...just so that he knew he was a marked man and that I was coming for him :-) Bahahaha.

I ended up in 1st place with 6 (lucky#6) laps, Jill got 2nd (yay) and our friend Chelsea Strate from Einstein Cycles got 3rd! Here's a full report on how things shook out.

The whole race was great. Einstein Cycles did a great job of putting it on and I was really happy with the podium prizes. Cash and a 45NRTH tire! Bonus!!! I definitely plan on coming back next year for sure!

Now it's time to gear up for another favorite race...the Farmer's Fat Bike race. There's less than 24 hours to sign up for the race and you don't want to miss out on this one. Here's the registration link. Think awesome singletrack and Brewery Vivant beer afterwards!

Well, time to put on every single layer of warm weather clothing that I have to shovel. Trust me, I love winter but -13 is too cold for me. And for the dogs. Even with coats they can only run out to go to the bathroom then it's right back in the house for them. Half of the time Naomi freaks out so much she won't even go...she'll just hold up her paw and look at me for help. If only 45NRTH made some "fasterdoggs" for dogs :-)

No comments: