Thursday, December 12, 2013

Fat Bike Tuesday-2, Danielle-0

Last week Fat Bike Tuesday was cancelled due to rain, but this week we finally got snow. Thanks Michigan...glad you could cooperate! Needless to say I was counting down the minutes at work. Not only was I going to be able to ride on groomed trail, but it was going to be in the dark. So fun!

I rushed home from work and started gathering all of my gear. This is the only part of winter riding that I don't like...so many freaking layers to put on.
It took about an hour to get ready. Mostly because I had to search the house for my Optic Nerve Boreas Goggles (at the end of winter I stored them in a "safe place") and also because I had to fit my fat bike in my fiesta. I did manage to make it work without having to take my rear wheel off, but I'm glad that no one was recording the process.

Finally I was off...but not very far. Within 2 miles it was bumper to bumper.
Don't worry, I wasn't snapping pictures and driving. I sat in this spot for about 30 minutes without moving. Awesome.

It took about 50 minutes to move 6 miles and that's when I decided to bail. By the time I got home home it had taken me 1 hour and 10 minutes to drive a circle of 8 miles. What a waste of time. I was NOT in a good mood when I got home :-)

Hopefully next Fat Bike Tuesday works out. But given the track record so far my coach has already loaded up an alternate workout.

The good news is that Wednesday was a completely different story. I rode my fat bike right out the front door and had an awesome, awesome time making fresh tracks.
One million times better then sitting in the car...obviously.
2.5 hours of riding and I was tired! I've forgotten how much more energy it takes to ride in the snow and cold weather. I need to toughen up because I think (and hope) that it's going to be a long winter.

One more day to the weekend and I can't wait. Hopefully this snow sticks around. The Winter Rush race series kicks off this Sunday at the GR Bike Park and I think the pump track will be a blast in the snow. It will definitely be a little colder then it was last year :-)

Well time to go. A certain foster wanted to help me blog today and this office chair is a little small for both of us!

No comments: