Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Weekend recap

This weekend I survived a friends rehearsal dinner, our junior mountain bike camp, the Bark in the Dark 5k, and the Kisscross Cascade race. It's too bad the events weren't reversed, because I think I would have felt a lot better if I started with the races and ended with the rehearsal dinner....but oh well. No one forced me to stay out so late at the rehearsal dinner so I can only blame myself :-)

Our junior mountain bike camp was a lot of fun and I was so proud of all the kids. We started out with warm-up exercises and when I asked the kids what they thought we should start warming up first someone shouted out, "fingers!"

So that's how our camp started out...with finger exercises. I had one of those surreal moments where I could hear myself telling the kids that I always wiggle my fingers at the start line to warm-up. Technically I wasn't lying because in the winter season I DO stand at the start line frantically moving my fingers to keep them from freezing :-)

After that we worked on skills, rode trail, ate snacks and had a race. One of the coolest moments of the day was riding behind a bunch of the kids and hearing them call out "rock" and "bump" to each other. I was SO PROUD of them.


By the time I got home from the clinic I only had time to put away my gear, walk the dogs and then get ready for Bark in the Dark 5K.

Unfortunately it started to rain right before the race. Talk about BAD TIMING! We had perfect weather all day....ugh! Moxie and I had to huddle in my trunk to keep dry...
This picture makes me laugh because Moxie looks so mad. She's like, "why are we sitting in the trunk?" And, "why are you making me run in the rain when I could be at home on the couch?" 

Finally it was time to start and everyone ran/walked in the rain. It was so cool seeing so many people and dogs show up to support the Humane Society of West Michigan.

As for Moxie, from the moment we started it was obvious that she wanted to get done and back to our house as quickly as possible. She took off running as fast as possible and I can't even imagine what I looked like. So much for her running right by my side like we had been training at home. She was clearly running me. I was wearing my Garmin and I wish I had started it because I'm pretty sure I had a new PR in the first mile. The good news is that I didn't faint....even though I felt like I was going to.

By the time I got home my quads felt like they were going to break in half. I was SORE. I wasn't sure how I would be able to race cross the next day. Common sense told me to stay home but when do I ever follow common sense? The weather was beautiful and I'm so glad that I went. My legs were definitely tired but I lucked out with only one set of barriers. My favorite races are the ones where I can stay on my bike the most :-)

photo by: Jack Kunnen

We have another ladies ride coming up this weekend and I'm doing a interview on Girls and Gears this Thursday. Details will be up on the blog soon!

No comments: