Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Jump Around! (a return to cyclocross)

For the next two months I'm staying pretty close to home before the winter fat bike season. But I still managed to put together a pretty full fall race schedule for my coach. Lots of short, hard workouts that I am fully prepared to do with tired legs.

This past Sunday was the first Kisscross cyclocross race of the season.  I woke up, ate breakfast and rode over to the course. My legs were tired. I was tired. It was a little worrisome to feel that way riding slowly since I knew that cyclocross racing is all-out-non-stop-intensity. I just reminded myself that I was going for a good workout and started mentally prepping for pain...and puke...and possibly bleeding from the eyeballs.

I don't have a cross bike so I raced it on my mountain bike...
Before I knew it I was lining up and we were off. It's been two years since I raced cross but the crazy "I'm going to puke" feeling came back within a few minutes. I had a horrible start but started to pass other racers over the next couple of laps. To tell you the truth I don't remember much of the race. It was so hard I couldn't even think...all I remember is drooling and feeling like I was going to black-out.

I considered practicing my dismounts and mounts the day before but I never got around to it. I figured that it would "all come back to me." I was wrong about that and I have lots of people who witnessed me repeatedly tripping over the barriers to back me up!

The course was freaking hard. There was a double hill that kicked my butt. I could climb and descend the first hill with no problem, but then there was a barrier half-way up the second hill that forced us all off of our bikes.

I hated that barrier!!!! I love this picture because it captures just how mad I was at that barrier placement! Ha ha, I look like I'm having a angry stare down with it! Also, great form right???? So much for a dismount...I might have just as well walked my bike up :-)
Photo: Jack Kunnen

I'm not sure what my overall placing was but I did finish as the first female. I plan to do as many of the kisscross races as possible, because cyclocross hurts so good! It's a whole different type of racing then what I am used to. I never feel like I'm going to make it to the finish line, but once I'm over all I can think about is when the next one is.
Photo: Chris Patterson

Afterwards my coach had me scheduled for more riding but first I headed over to Rowster's for a coffee soda. I needed to be revitalized after the race.

Finally I headed out for another two hours of riding. I will be the first to admit that I came up with a hundred excuses to go home and take a nap instead, but I am really glad I did it. The weather was way to nice to be inside and I ended up feeling pretty good pedaling...as long as I stayed at an endurance pace! Plus I had a really great tailwind home!
The rest of the week is going to be pretty busy. We leave on Friday for L.A. and I have a lot to do between now and then.

No comments: