Sunday, June 23, 2013

Summer Solstice and the Michigan State Games

On Friday night, when I was blogging away, I happened to notice that The State Games of Michigan were happening the next day. Up until then I had paid zero attention to the race because I was planning on being out of town. This year the race was a 25 mile time trial. Ok, I knew that doing a TT 6 days after a hundred miler was not ideal, but I realized that I could probably fit the workout my coach had me doing into the race. I decided to sleep on it and decide in the morning.

Saturday my alarm went off at 6 a.m. and I promptly turned it off and went back to bed. Then I woke up at 7 a.m. and realized that if I hurried, I could get all of my gear together and still make it to Cannonsburg ski hill in time. Off I went.

I got to the race, registered and was uber-excited when I saw the number plate that I was given. My favorite number. I swear I did not ask for it (Scott does not believe me)!!!
This is probably one of the first times at a race where I wasn't nervous at all...probably because it was such a last minute decision. I didn't have time to build up my usual "race crazies."  Finally it was time to line up, someone said "Go!" and I was off. All I'm going to say is Ouch!!! When I decided not to race the Cheq 100 I did a strength training session with Jason. It wasn't super hard, but it was enough to leave every single muscle in my body slightly sore.

I think my coach will be pretty happy because I managed to stay at my tempo pace for most of the race. Not necessarily by choice but because I couldn't go harder if I wanted to. The only un-fun part of the race came on the last lap. Since my legs didn't like the uphills I was having a little too much fun on the downhills and managed to clip a tree with my handlebar. Instead of flying over my bike I landed on the top tube of my bike (it's a good thing I'm not a guy) and headed into a ravine. It hurt so freaking bad that I couldn't even comprehend what was happening. All I knew was that I was off course and trees were whizzing past me on the right and left. Luckily I managed to slow down enough that when I finally hit a tree it wasn't that bad.

Sigh. Enough with the trees already. A while ago I saw this really cool pine tree graphic that I wanted to get as a tattoo but lately my relationship with trees hasn't been that pleasant. I might have to rethink things :-)
Anyways, I'm so happy that I ended up doing the race. Sore legs, crashes and all. I was a hot sweaty mess, totally worked over, and really happy!
I had to leave right after the race but had a really great surprise when I got home. Scott had his bike out and was ready to do an urban ride. I switched kits and immediately hopped on my bike. Naturally I had to leave my number plate on my bike, just so people would know that I meant business!

Our first stop was to Sip for smoothies! They had free samples of a granola bar and every time they looked away I would grab another sample. It's a dangerous place to go to immediately after a race because I was HUNGRY and could have ordered a lot more.

Our next stop was for iced coffee and then over to Rose's Express for lunch! Pizza!!!

The weather was absolutely perfect. Sunny and hot but with a breeze. One of those Michigan at it's best sort of days. We sat outside for a long time and I slowly fell into a post-race, post-smoothie, and post-pizza coma. It was NOT an easy ride home. Scott had to drag me....for all 3-miles of it.

I can't think of a better way to spend Summer Solstice. Now summer has to slow down a bit...it's already going by too fast.

1 comment:

Carey Lowery said...

I don't know about you, but the last time I landed on my top tube, it was indeed almost as painful as giving birth.