Friday, June 21, 2013

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Right now I'm supposed to be in Cable, Wisconsin. Instead I'm still here in G-Rap blogging and eating popsicles (true story).

So why aren't I in Cable, Wisconsin? Good question. A long time ago when I was putting together my race schedule I found myself in the situation of wanting to do both the Lumberjack 100 and Chequamegon 100. The only problem was that there was only 6 days between the two. For some, this might not be a big deal but for people who recover slower then tortoises (that would be me!) it's a big problem.

When I told my coach that I wanted to do two hundred milers so close together he replied "doable but you will be tired." But I was high off the Fat Bike Birkie win and I had months and months to train. "I'll be fine, I thought."

Yeah freaking right. It was really easy to think that way when there was still snow on the ground and the worst crash that I had was in a snow bank. It turned into a whole different story after a hundred mile race that involved body slamming into a tree.

I'm super bummed because I heard the Chequamegon 100 is AMAZING but I know I made the right decision. Driving a total of 27 hours and racing another hundie would have put me deep in a training hole. Sometimes making the right decision is very un-fun. That's why I often chose to make the wrong decisions in college. Haha. Just kidding...kind of :-)

Oh well. I did make the most of my day and it ended up being really great. I took my little sister dog walking at the humane society.

We started out walking my favorite dog there, Matilda...
I think my mom was worried that Toni was going to come home with a dog....it's actually a valid fear!
Ok, I swear we actually walked the dogs...I just don't have any photos to prove it!
Afterwards we stopped to fuel up on smoothies. I had some sort of beet/banana juice combo but Toni's smoothie was much better. I think hers was a combination of dates, bananas, and cucumber. We probably should have just gone out for fro-yo!
Afterwards I went for an hour easy ride and then headed to the Ada Bike Shop for a bit to "work!"
We are having another helmet event next Saturday, June 29th at the Salvation Army on Fulton Street. Right now the bike shop is collecting donations...every $8 will get a child a helmet. My friend Kelly came in to look at bikes and gave us a donation...thanks Kelly!
Last year was really great and I'm really excited to help run the safety course again. I'm sure Jill and I will come up with another fun one full of "danger, danger" zones for the kids to avoid. I'll have more info with full details up soon. Even if your child has a helmet it's a great event to come to. There's going to be a block party, food, and did I mention how awesome our safety course is going to be??? Spread the word!

EDIT: I just clicked on the Chequamegon 100 link and saw that the race has been postponed due to weather. Wow. I was so bummed about not being able to do the race and I might get a second chance after all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup, Sept 21st.... come on over!