Monday, May 06, 2013

The Plague part 2

So last week was a total bust. It's been a really long time since I've gotten that sick. In my last post I mentioned that Scott and I were skipping town for the weekend but only part of that statement ended up being true. Scott flew out to L.A. for two days to visit my little sister but I ended up having to stay home, sick and on the couch. Disappointed doesn't even begin to explain how I felt.

Scott did come home with a few gifts! Mochi for me...

And treats from a dog bakery for Naomi and Ben...

I never knew that upper respiratory infections could be so miserable but holy crap...I couldn't do anything. I spent an entire week on the couch drinking liquids and trying to sleep sitting up. I think I watched more TV this past week then I have in my entire life and I "googled" a ridiculous amount of things. At one point I actually found myself googling "how to do a citizen's arrest." Yes I was that bored! But I'm also very prepared now. You know, in case I ever need to arrest anyone :-)

After 5 days of doing nothing I managed to do a 40 min run (my stuffy head was not ready for that) and then the next day attempted to do an endurance ride.

It was not pretty. This picture sums it up nicely...

Every once in a while I have a not-so-great ride and this was one of those rides. My legs felt like jelly, I couldn't breathe and to make matters worse my nose started bleeding. Ha, I must have looked pretty gruesome weaving along on the dirt roads. For a few minutes I started to worry that I wasn't going to make it home but I did. Obviously...

I had another rest day today and the good news it that I finally feel like I'm at the turning point. Like I can actually breathe and I'm coughing way less. Now I just need to finish getting better really, really quick. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt another bike/run and then I have to report back to my coach. It's going to take a miracle to get me to the start line this coming weekend and a double miracle to get me to the finish line.

Now I just need to find another time to go visit my sister in L.A. It's been way to long since I've seen her and it sounds like so much fun. I used points for my plane ticket but I think Delta is going to let me transfer the points (for a fee) but first they have to call my doctor to confirm that I was sick. If they don't believe my doctor I can always show them my empty Nyquil and Sudafed bottles....haha.

1 comment:

Heather said...

That sounds miserable. Glad you are on the mend and starting to feel better.