Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Cuyna Whiteout race report


A lot has happened since my last post. The beginning of my week was filled with really early mornings at work and late nights trying to cram training and everything else in. Then on Thursday Scott and I headed back to Minnesota for the Cuyuna Whiteout. I think it's safe to say that we have the trip to Minnesota down. I think the Chipotle in Madison and Caribou Coffee in Eau Claire know us by name.

We spent Thursday night at my T6 sponsors house and then spent Friday morning being lazy in Minneapolis. After a really good breakfast, really good coffee, and a shopping trip at Twin Six headquarters we hopped back in the truck for another 2-plus hours.

It was a little warmer then the last time we were there, and once again we were treated to a bluebird day with lots and lots of sunshine. The next time any of my Michigan friends talk about how grey it is here (a frequent topic in the winter) I will be able to tell them why. Minnesota hogs all of the sunshine!

Scott and I were lucky to have enough time to pre-ride the course and it was in awesome condition. It was wide open and perfectly groomed. I knew that the race was going to be incredibly fast. Not only was it hard packed but it was the shortest race in the Great Lakes Fat Bike Series. 18 miles to be exact. Definitely not a race that played to my strengths but that's what makes racing in a series fun, right? If you could always pick the format and course it wouldn't be as challenging. At least that's what I kept telling myself!

This happened during our pre-ride...



After our pre-ride we went and registered and then took it easy for the rest of the night. I got a good nights sleep (for it being the night before a race) but still felt absolutely exhausted when our alarm went off. Usually I have so much adrenaline going through my body the morning of a race that I get up immediately...but not this time. I kept hitting the snooze button and was dragging the whole way to the race. Not a good sign.

The race began with a mass start and I was near the front at the beginning. However I could tell from the beginning that I just didn't have it. I was riding like I had never been on a bike before. It's kind of ridiculous how many times I crashed since the course was all groomed doubletrack but I could not stay up on my bike for the life of me. There was a guy riding behind me for most of the race and I almost wanted to say something like, "this is my first time on a bike!" Then I would at least have a good excuse for why I was crashing on almost every turn...haha!

Even though I wasn't happy with my performance I still had a blast out there. I mean, I was racing a fat bike in the snow with a bunch of people (and a yeti) cheering us on. I ended up hanging on to second place and finished behind April Morgan, my official Minnesota BFF.

The Cuyuna Whiteout was a full day event, complete with drag racing and a crit on ice.
Initially I had signed up for the drag race. Because you know, I'm so good at short and fast races...ha! However when I found out that the race was on ice I opted out of it. Not only did I NOT have studded tires, but I also already crashed a million gazillion times. I think some of the locals stopped by just to check out why there were a bunch of people riding their bikes around in circles on the ice...

Instead I hung out with the Salsa guys and drooled over a lot of sweet fat bikes...

More pictures from the race can be found here and here! Check them out...this is another race that I plan on coming back to next year. But next year I need to figure out a way to stay in Minnesota for both races so that I don't have to make a double trip :-)

And already I'm plotting a way to come back to ride the Cuyuna trails in the summer. I can't say enough about how awesome the singletrack is. I think it would be really cool to spend a few days up there and get lots of riding in!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

come back and to the 100 miler they have its a 25 mile loop.