Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Almost time for Barry-Roubaix...

So this weekend was kind of a bust. Scott is in California for the week and I was stuck in a classroom for 9 hours on Saturday for a spinning certification. Sunday was a bit better as I was able to get a 3 hour ride in but after that it's been work, work, work. Payback for having so many fun race weekends I guess :-)

Speaking of racing...just a few more days until Barry-Roubaix and I can't wait. Once again I wasn't able to get out to pre-ride the course which is a bit of a bummer. Groups of people have been going almost every weekend but it seemed like I always had a conflict. Oh well...I'm sure I'll remember it all soon enough.

Right now everyone is trying to decide between mountain bikes and cross bikes and what tires to use. Last year the course was in perfect condition...this year might be a bit different. We had a bit of a winter storm last night and it made my morning pretty unpleasant. Not only did our electricity go out but I had to wake up at 3 a.m. to try and get the dogs out before work. Neither Ben or Naomi were even remotely interested in going outside and Ben actually sat down to protest. Apparently he would rather sit in the cold snow then walk at such an early time. Not that I blame him!

The conditions weren't much better after I left work...

The weather the next couple of days will play a huge part in determining the road conditions for Barry- Roubaix. Personally I'm really, really excited about it. Not only are there close to 3,000 racers but the female fields are incredibly big. Plus racing in the fat bike category has made my bike and tire decisions easy :-) What bike am I riding? Beargrease! What tires? 45NRTH Escalators. Same as always. If I weren't on a fat bike I would for sure race on my mountain bike but that's just me. I would rather ride a mountain bike over a cross bike even in cyclocross race!

Well, time for a nap. Slightly ridiculous to take one so late in the day but waking up at 3 a.m. was not easy for me to do, because I am a total night owl. Tomorrow is another episode of Girls&Gears on Mountain Bike Radio. It's at 6 p.m. EST and I will be interviewing Eszter Horanyi about racing the Iditarod Trail Invitational. I'm sure we will talk about other things as well. I have lots of questions for her...bahahaha! Here is the LINK! Be sure to tune in!

1 comment:

Ironman By Thirty said...

I never got a chance to recon the course this year either. Instead, I have been reading all the recon reports and wondering what the heck I got myself into!?!?! haha.

I'll be on my 29er as that is my only option. Makes it easy to pick.

Good luck on Saturday!