Monday, February 04, 2013

Fresh snow

As much as I like racing on my fat bike, I like exploring on it more. On Saturday I did just that. We got a bunch of snow on Friday so I woke up early (for me) Saturday morning, ate breakfast, shoved a PB&J sandwich in my frame bag and was out the door by 8:30 a.m.

Fresh powder in the morning....wheeeeee!

It reminded me of playing in the snow as a child. I must have looked slightly crazy slipping and sliding sideways on my bike but I couldn't wipe the grin off of my face if I tried. So...much...fun.

Finally I reached Egypt Valley trail...beautiful!

The woods were silent and I liked the idea of having them all to myself. But it was pretty obvious that someone had been there before me as I could see the faint lines of a fat bike tire.

With each pedal stroke the bottoms of my feet would disappear into the snow. Not a problem except for the fact that I am still riding in the same Mavic cycling shoes that I wear in the summer (covered in Gore booties).

How I've made it this long in Michigan without winter riding shoes I don't know. It's one thing to be riding on the road or dirt roads. My Gore booties usually keep my feet warm enough. But having my feet completely covered in snow? I think this is the week that I finally invest in something I should have purchased a long time ago.

I could have stayed out there all day. It was by far my favorite riding day of the year so far.



After about 3 hours my brakes stopped working. That was a first for me! I think it was because the snow was so deep that it packed in around my brake pads. Oh well, it didn't really matter because I was NOT moving fast.

Afterwards I went to the Ada Bike Shop so that my friend Kelly could demo a Mukluk. Once again I felt like I was ten years old, "let's see if we can plow our fat bikes over that snow bank!"
I was good for nothing when I finally got home-except for eating large amounts of pasta. Cold weather wipes me out!

The next day was the final race in the Winter Rush series. My goal was to beat Scott but that did not happen. We started with a Lemans start, and I was able to hang with him during the run. However he took the hole shot and I got stuck in traffic. Even if my start were better it wouldn't have mattered. I was being way to cautious on the downhill sections and lost a bunch of time each lap.

The race was a blast though and I have to admit that I'm bummed the series is over already. I'm crossing my fingers that it will happen again next year...and that maybe there will be a few more races!

Well, time for bed. Tomorrow I have to be up at 5 a.m. to drop Scott off to the airport before I go to work. Ugh, early mornings in winter are my nemesis. Unless, or course,  the reason is to go for a ride!

PS. Don't forget spin class at the Ada Bike Shop tomorrow at 6 p.m. It's going to be a VERY fun workout :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget about The Fun Promotions fat bike series. The next race is at Shore Acres Park in Saugatuck February 16th then the season finally March 3rd at Pando

John Yonkers said...

Looks like an awesome morning. I have to check out a fat bike pretty soon. However, I do love rocking my 26" in the snow, it offers more chances to get loose in the corners!