Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shut up Garmin

Today was my first day riding outside since the Farmer's Fat Bike race. It did not go well. I think it was a combination of being tired from last night's spin class at the Ada Bike Shop and also a headwind from hell. At one point I was climbing up a hill (straight into the headwind) and made the mistake of looking at my Garmin. I had to look twice because it had me doing a 12.5 minute mile. It actually auto-paused because I was going so slow. Nothing demoralizing about that...

 For a few seconds I considered getting off of my bike and running...stupid wind!

When I got home I broke down and ended up listening to my interview on Mountain Bike Radio. I vowed that I wasn't going to listen because I absolutely hate hearing my own voice recorded. It always sounds completely different then what I imagine myself sounding like. Personally I think I sound like a muppet. A...very...awkward...muppet. :-)

If you want to listen to it, or any of the other interviews regarding fat bike racing and the Great Lakes Fat Bike Series click HERE. I'm convinced that being interviewed live on the radio is harder then being interviewed face to face because there is no stop and rewind button. But at the same time I think that's what makes it more interesting. It was fun and I look forward to doing more of them. I mean, it does not take much arm twisting to ask me to talk about bikes and riding on dirt. And I learned something about myself after listening to the interview..."yeah," and "yup," must be two of my favorite words to say EVER.

I have to admit that listening to the interview made me really excited to do more races. Initially I had plans to go up to Crystal Mountain this weekend with Scott to compete in race #1 in the Northern Michigan Fat Bike Series. However my plans have changed a bit. Not only would it mean 3 weeks of racing in a row, but I would only have 5 days to recover before racing Noquemanon. For most people that might not be a big deal but fast recoveries are not my strong point and I want to be fresh for the Noque. 

So I'm going to stay home, SLEEP IN, and then do the local Winter Rush Fat Bike Series. Yes, I'll still be racing but it's only 40 minutes long and close to home. That I can deal with :-)

Hopefully between now and then we can get some SNOW!

No comments: