Monday, December 31, 2012

Breaking in the Beargrease!

I had to get one more blog post in for 2012!!!

2012 was pretty great and I hope that 2013 holds more of the same. If I were to pick some New Year resolutions it would be to drink more water and stretch more (same as every year) but I never stick with it. Maybe this will be the year....but let's be honest. Probably not :-)

I'm heading into 2013 with a Beargrease! I still don't believe that it's mine but...I'll take it!
On Saturday I broke the Beargrease in with a ride that kicked my butt. I started out from my house and rode over to Luton, where I met up with my friend Amanda. It was nice having company for the majority of my ride!
We ended up riding a lap at Luton and then riding over to Merrell for a lap there. I'm glad that we are starting to gain a little extra time each day now because I made it home just as it was getting dark. When all was said and done I had close to 5 hours of riding in. Phew! I wasn't good for anything the rest of the night and spent the rest of the night in a lasagna coma.

The next day I woke up and had my first Fat Bike hangover. Every muscle was sore and I had a headache...probably because I never drink enough water when it's cold outside.

I was signed up to do race #2 in the Winter Rush series, and eventually dragged myself out of bed to go race. Once I got to the venue race excitement took over and all the aches and pains (mostly) disappeared.

Once again the race was 40 minutes plus a lap. This race was harder then the first one, mostly because it wasn't as technical. It was much more of a power course and the back side was all slightly uphill with a nasty headwind.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!
Photos by Jack Kunnen

My bike handling skills were missing during this race. There were a few sketchy turns that I could not get the hang of....but I was able to make up time on the back half. Slowly I started to reel in a familiar Farm Team jersey.

Catching my hubby! Bahahahahahahah!
photo by Jack Kunnen

I passed him...I dropped him...I pumped my fist in the air. Unfortunately I got cocky way too soon because I couldn't make my lead stick. Scott was able to make up large amounts of time on the corners where I was slowing down. He caught me and I basically pulled him around in the wind the whole last lap. I have to admit that there is a different dynamic when I'm racing against my hubby. For instance, I would never yell, "get off of my wheel you creep," to a complete stranger!

So Scott ended up beating me by a few seconds. It may look like I'm giving him a victory kiss but really I'm whispering "next time you are going down!" haha!
photo by Jack Kunnen

I love this race series! It's such a good workout and...just fun! In the first A race I got 4th place (out of 4 racers) but this time I got 5th place out of 9 racers. Next time I will hopefully be in front of even more people...like my husband.

After the race we went to the new Grand Rapids Brewing Co. for the best recovery food...kale popcorn, tomato soup and scottish eggs. 
We'll see how much my legs are recovered today because I have one more race to do....the New Year's Resolution Run around Reed's Lake. This is becoming an annual tradition as it's my third year doing it. I'm not going to lie...I am so nervous. I can't explain why I'm so nervous about a 4 mile run but I am. Probably because I know that it's going to hurt a lot. And I always get super intimidated at the start.

I always get spanked by a bunch of super fast runners, but I have managed to win my age group both times. Two years ago I finished in 27:58 and last year in 26:59. I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to come close to those times today. It's way colder and windier out and my legs are much more tired.

Still going to try though....

PS. My finish line photo from the race two years ago STILL cracks me up. I was really close to passing out. I don't know why I find that funny but I do :-)

1 comment:

Heather Adventure said...

Ooh, what is Kale Popcorn? I want to try that! Great race report :)