Monday, November 12, 2012

13.1 miles! I think I can...I think I can...

I almost wasn't going to mention the next race that I'm signed up for...just in case I completely and utterly embarrass myself. But then what would be the point of this blog??? And let's face it, I completely and utterly embarrass myself on a daily basis :-)

When 24 hour Worlds was cancelled Scott and I were left with some big airline credits. One day Scott mentioned (half-jokingly) that we should go on a real vacation some place warm...like Hawaii. Instantly I was all over it. I mean come on, Hawaii? Go ahead, twist my arm...I guess I'll go. 

Anyways, it just so happened that I remembered that the Xterra trail running World Championships were in the beginning of December. And it just so happened that I could go during that time. Obviously I don't have a lot of time to prepare for this race. Besides the two duathlons I did in early summer I haven't been running at all. Plus it took a ridiculous time to recover from getting sick at Nationals. In mid-October Andy had me start with some running workouts that were too short to write about. My first workout was 15 minutes long and I was like, really??? But I had a side stitch within 10 minutes and realized that my running fitness is almost non-existent. 

So Andy had me starting off easy because running hard, or running to much would just result in an injury. And I can't have that with the fat bike series right around the corner. So I've been following his workouts to a T. And I will be the first to admit that my butt is getting kicked!!! After Iceman Andy gave me my first running intervals and they were way harder then I thought they would be. I had to do five one-minute hill sprints and I think it was one of the hardest workouts I've ever done. I was actually drooling. It's slightly demoralizing to feel so out of shape. I have pretty good endurance on a bike but after 45 minutes of running I want to fall over.

So I have to work REALLY HARD over the next couple of weeks. Time is running out fast. I did a 1.5 hour trail run this past Saturday and it was the longest run I've ever done. I also fell flat on my face...which should surprise no one. I guess my severe lack of coordination crosses disciplines. I lucked out because the trail was covered with leaves. As a result I slid like I was on a banana slide.

This is the first time I've ever had a structured running schedule. I know being more fit at running will come in handy with fat-bike racing too. Even though I try to stay on my bike all of the time, I know there are times when I will have to get off and run.

Right now there are 990 racers signed up, but I think it will be close to 2,000 come race day. I think I'm going to be at the start line looking around and be like WTF am I doing here? I've never run a half-marathon before, I've never run on volcano rock and I'll be doing it all for the first time during the World Championships. Go big or go home, right??? I can't wait :-) 

Here's a video of the race last year. It takes place on the land where Jurassic Park was filmed...I'm also ridiculously excited about that :-) In fact, I might experience my own scene from Jurassic Park. Like where everyone is running and then they get trampled!! Ha, I'm semi-joking but if it were to happen to anyone it would be me. I'm going to triple knot my shoes just in case.

No comments: