Monday, September 27, 2010

Running and pedaling...

Here are some pics from my weekend. In my last post I mentioned that I ran my first 5K. It was pretty awesome. Not because of the running part, but because of the cause. There were thousands of people running or walking and the event raised over $200,000!

I joined a few friends/co-workers/stair team, and they did a great job. They've been running for less then two months, and were initially worried that they wouldn't be able to run the whole thing. We decided that we would just wing it and see what happened....

Even spidey was out racing for a cure....
There was no need to worry, as everyone did a great job. They kept running, and running and running...
Straight to the finish line!!!!
I was so proud of everyone that I took a million pictures...while running. I'm shocked that I didn't fall flat on my face.

So yeah, while I'm not a huge fan of running, I do like to do a little bit of it so that I don't completely die during Le Mans starts. Not to mention cross. And I do like stairs!!! But I will never be serious about running, that's for sure. I reached this conclusion the moment I got passed by a ten year old boy and his grandma. They ran past me like I was standing still!

After the race I went back to bed for a million gazillion hours. I was still completely wiped out from taking the red eye back from Vegas...not to mention getting very little sleep while I was out there.

The next day I woke up early again to do a XC race at Pando ski hill. I decided to race on my Selma because I think it's a really great for strength training. Plus, the bike just rocks...

The women's elite class was ultra tough, and I knew I was in for a good and REALLY HARD race. At the start we went straight up the ski hill, and I instantly felt oxygen deprived. I don't ride my SS on a regular basis, so I'm still getting used to having to mash up steep climbs. My right cleat popped out of my pedal at the top of the hill, and I lost contact with the two lead women, Tara and Erin. It was weird chasing after them with only one gear, because at times I felt like I was completely spun out and at other times I felt like I had an rpm of 10. Eventually I was able to catch them, but they did not make it easy.

The course was a blast with some fun singletrack, and a few hard climbs. One climb in the back was particularly tough. I could barely make it over the crest, and had to use my entire body to make it over. Even my arms are tired today. Once I took the lead I refused to look back. Ok, that's a lie. I did look back a few times, but tried to keep it at a minimum :-) For the most part I just hammered as hard as I could to the finish line.

Thanks to Jack Kunnen for the photos!!!

I crossed the line in 1st place with a time of 2 hours exactly. It was a great race with great competition, and I was definitely pushed the entire time. I was in a zone that I rarely go into during endurance races and I liked it a lot. Hopefully I can work a few more XC races for training into my schedule next year.

I still like gears best, but I think I'll try to do a few more XC races this year on my Selma!!!

2 comments:

Tim Ek said...

Great job Danielle! I'll let Amy know that there's a small, small chance you'll be running more.

Seng said...

Aww, I miss you guys!