Monday, August 02, 2010

Wausau 12 hour race report

We are back from a really great weekend in Wisconsin! Lots of fun, lots of riding, lots of Salsa, and Twin Six. I felt like I was in bike heaven :-) I had a great race and finished in 1st place with 11 laps (120-ish miles).

Scott and I arrived Friday evening with enough time to set up camp and spin our legs out. We only rode about 3 miles of the trail, but I wasn't too worried. I've raced on this course many times before, so I knew what to expect.

My pit crew extraordinaire! You would have to see him in action to know what I mean, but Scott is very, VERY PRO when it comes to crewing for a race.


Case in point...we were only given one number plate for our bikes so Scott made me a second one!!! It was very custom....ha ha!
I slept really well for being in a tent, and before I knew it we were lining up for the start. The race started at 10 a.m., and it felt like a luxury to sleep in a bit!

We started with a typical Lemans start. You gotta love running in cycling shoes! Between my coach and Jason, I've been getting a little running practice in, and I noticed an improvement during the lemans start. By that I mean I made it to my bike without completely dying :-)

I passed as many people as possible during the first bit of doubletrack, because I knew that there would be a huge bottleneck once we hit singletrack. This was my first year racing the course on a 29'er and I was shocked at how easy all of the rock gardens seemed. I was able to roll over everything. It was awesome. In fact, I was having so much fun riding that I had to keep reminding myself that I was in a race! Scott would hand me a new hydrapak every other lap and give me race stats. By lap 3 I had a pretty good lead going.

During the race I had a million memories come flooding back from previous years. The course was backwards, but it was still easy to recognize parts of the trail that I raced on with friends. This year it seemed like there was more singletrack and less doubletrack and halfway through the race I started to remember another thing about the course....how physically demanding it was.

I started to really feel it between my 6th and 7th lap. I think it was the hottest part of the day and all of a sudden the roots seemed a lot slipperier and my perfect lines through the rock gardens disappeared. I found myself wondering if the rocks were moving on me, but in all actuality I was getting tired...especially my arms!

Luckily it started to cool off and I was able to keep my laps pretty consistent. I rode with a lot of people during this race, and time seemed to fly by. Before I knew it Scott was attaching my lights for my last couple of laps.

Heading out into the dark...

I thought Scott forgot to attach my alien light, but it was blinking on the back of my helmet the whole time...
Since I had a 2 lap lead I was able to finish a half hour early. Scott snapped this picture of me waiting to cross the finish line.

Drinking a cold coke after 11.5 hours of riding a bike = BEST MOMENT EVER!!!!
Crossing the finish line!!!
Talking with one of my NiteRider sponsors about the race...
Afterwards I was pretty wired from ingesting large amounts of caffeine in the form of powerbar gels and red bull. Scott and I hung out under the Twin Six tent and cheered on all of the 24 hour racers. Usually I'm out there racing, so it was weird seeing it from the other side. At one point a racer rode very slowly by our tent. I knew they were heading out into dark singletrack with slippery rocks and roots, and felt a little guilty that I was warm and dry. Not to mention standing over a huge bowl of hot, cheesy mac and cheese. I made sure to cheer extra loudly for them..ha ha!

The next day we did an easy spin and then went to the awards. I had this "great" idea to lift one of my prizes above my head. Just as everyone started cheering I realized two things. That my arms were really tired and that the box was much heavier then I expected. I almost dropped it.

I'm smiling in this picture, but really I'm about 1 second away from dropping the box. My arms were shaking!
This is one of my favorite races to do and I highly, highly recommend it. The promoter did a terrific job and made the whole weekend a lot of fun for both the racers and pit crews. There was food/coffee available 24/7, tons of great volunteers working the aid stations, over 22 course marshals roaming around, and wifi available so pit crews could check real time results! I definitely plan on coming back next year!!!!

10 comments:

Jim said...

Way to Go Danielle!

Dan said...

Funny, we were wondering if you were going to get that box over your head or not. Great to have you come and race at the Wausau24 Danielle! Looking forward to having you back next year. BTW, it was my first time ever announcing this year. From the amount of comments I got (positive) it looks like I'll be doing it again next year. See you then!

jeek said...

"gaun yersel!" In Scotland that means well done!

Mad Trix said...

I came up on you a couple of times when you were on the single going up ho chi mihn. You looked solid. Nice race on a tricky course!

Kid Riemer said...

Atta girl! Nice work...again...both the racing and the posting. I love your sense of humor/style.

Tim Ek said...

Great job! I guy could set his watch by your lap times - impressive!

Carey said...

Zeke wants to be like Scott in the pits! I think he woulda given him a run for his money at The Burn. Nice work, lady! Carly says good job putting a hurtin' on the guys.

Dennis B Murphy said...

great job- sounds like you had fun too!!

Kyia said...

Nice race report and great job! See you in Marquette?

Danielle Musto said...

Kyia- Yes, we will be arriving in the evening. I'll look for your tent at the expo!