Sunday, August 02, 2009

6 hours of Stony Creek

Scott and I headed over to the East side of the state to do the 6 hours of Stony Creek this past Saturday. I was scheduled to do a 5 hour ride this weekend and decided that racing would be more fun! The decision was totally last minute and I was scrambling until 11 p.m. on Friday night getting all of my bottles and hydrapaks ready for the next day.

We had to be up at 4 a.m. (which was totally brutal) and still barely made it to the race venue in time. The race started at 8 a.m. and we pulled into the parking lot at 7:30. By the time we registered, dressed and found a spot for the cooler it was time to line up.

I had talked with Lynda the day before and she told me to keep the race pace easy. Since it was just a training race there was no point in burying myself. My game plan was to get out front in the first lap and then keep my HR moderate for the rest of the race.

I think I did pretty well. My HR was definitely high during the first lap, but I felt surprisingly good. I had a hard time holding back because all that I wanted to do was hammer away. The course was completely different then what we raced on for the marathon and I absolutely loved it. There seemed to be a little bit more climbing, and the singletrack was broken up with really fast doubletrack. You basically had to be on the gas the entire time.

By the middle of the second lap I settled down into the right HR zones. The first 4 hours flew by and I was having a blast. I felt so tired after I got home from Breckenridge, so it was great finally feeling normal again. After 5.5 hours I rolled into the pit area with 6 laps. By this time I was feeling every bump on the course and considered stopping, but I wasn't sure how far back my competition was. I went out for another lap and am really happy that I did as 2nd place was only 20 some minutes back. That's too close for comfort!

I finished 1st female and 3rd overall out of the guy's with 73 miles in 6:21. Scott won with 8 laps but I am happy to report that he did not lap me. It was close but I managed to hold him off-HA!

I was expecting to be sore this morning but I'm not. Maybe a little tired, but I did a 2 hour road ride to loosen up my legs and they felt pretty good. Next up for me is Ore to Shore. I haven't done this race in a few years and I can't wait!

P.S. The VCC dirt ride is back in business with yours truly leading it. It will be at Luton Park for the next couple of weeks. Be there...6:30 p.m. on Monday night.

4 comments:

Sean said...

Well done....to you and Scott.

Is the VCC ride still a no-drop? I would like to join one day if I am free!!

Danielle said...

Yes, definitely no-drop. Have you ridden at Luton yet? If not, you should check it out!

Paynful said...

Great job on the race!!

You should have hung around and and raced another 6 hrs!! It was brutal... I ended up with 121 miles and they called it early!!

I am still sore.

oldmanandhisbike said...

Congrats on your finish at Stony. I have not ridden there in years, but it is a fun trail. Course, not for 6 hours!
Is the Luton this coming Monday? If so, I will plan to be there. There is another "secret" loop out there now too!