Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The show must go on!

Well, it's back to training for me. I had Sunday completely off, but spent most of the day sleeping and eating. I was completely exhausted from being up for 22 hours straight on Saturday. Sleeping all day Sunday wasn't such a great idea either, since I had a really hard time falling asleep at night and had to wake up at 5 a.m. for work on Monday. Ouch!

However, I managed to get at least 10 hours of sleep for the last 2 days, so I'm feeling mucho, mucho better. Sleep does the body good! Coach has me doing easy rides this whole week, and I have to say that I'm feeling pretty good on the bike. It's off of the bike where I notice being sore. Like my quads when I'm climbing up stairs-ouch! 

I also gave myself a major attitude adjustment over the whole "getting lost" fiasco. I decided it was OK to be disappointed for a day, but I'm totally over it now. Really, if all I have to worry about is getting lost on trail (on a sweet bike during a beautiful day) then life is pretty great, right? 

Here are a few pictures from Mohican...

Danielle Musto photo shoot. I had this vision of getting a picture of myself doing a "Air Jordan" jump under the race banner but little did I know how hard it would be. For one thing, the banner was way higher then I thought. Not to mention I had to run and jump every time the street light turned red. It was hard work. Finally I decided my coach would probably not recommend running and jumping the day before a hundred miler, so I had to settle with this picture. At least I got one leg up...


Amy and Laura hanging out the day before the race. As you can see, Amy likes to wear her helmet at all times. It's all part of riding for an insurance company. Safety is important!


I had so much stuff in my drop bags it was borderline ridiculous. And of course I barely used any of it. But you never know....


I trained on this bike for the 2 weeks leading up to Mohican, but this was my first time racing on it (pushing it at DS&G doesn't count). Holy Moly, cornering took some getting used to. This bike flies! I'm always getting asked about what tires I used, and I rode with my favorite tire set-up (Kenda Karmas) They were perfect for the course. I honestly think I race with Karmas for about 90% of my season. 


Done! This is me deciding that downtown Loudonville was as good of a place as any to take a nap...
Next up...Lumberjack! The nice thing about being friends with the race promoter is that I can request things. Like, I'm going to ask him to put course ribbons every couple of feet-just for peace of mind.  Since it's 25 mile course I don't think that's too much to ask :-) 

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

As a directionally-challenged rider, I thank you for making the course marking request for the Lumberjack.

Scott said...

In case anybody wants to know. Danielle used Karma UST 1.9 (rear) and 2.1 (front). At DS&G it was 1.9 front AND rear.

Steve Kinley said...

What hotel is that? It looks like where we stayed, the Mohican River Inn.

Danielle said...

Lindsay- Us directionally-challenged riders need to stick together :-)

Steve- It is!

Steve Kinley said...

Funny we didn't run into you. We had dinner there on Friday and then went to their bar on Saturday after dinner to watch the wings.

The beds in the place were pretty hard. I don't mthink there was a box spring, just a board under the mattress or something. It reminded me of summer camp.

Danielle said...

Steve-

Scott and I stayed there the first year we ever raced Mohican, before it was part of the NUE series. I had the worst experience because our room was so dirty and smoky-I had some weird allergic reaction.

Now the place is under new owners and I liked it. It was super clean and pretty big. But you are right about the beds...ouch.

Monica said...

Ha! You'll be happy to know there are LOTS of yellow ribbons on the LJ course already :) See you there!