Sunday, May 10, 2009

I think I'm gonna make it after all...

Photos by Namrita!!!

We're back home. Dirt, Sweat and Gears is already starting to seem like a bad dream. Except for the fact that I can barely lift my arms or bend my fingers. I felt like a robot today trying to get coffee. I basically had to tell the barista to put the cups into my hands. 

This was my drivetrain after 10 miles....

Bruises and muddy bikes aside, the thing that's actually bugging me the most are the hundred mosquito bites that I got during the race. Since it was raining, bug spray never occurred to me and half-way through the race I was attacked. I don't know how the mosquitos managed to get through the mud, but those little buggers are EVIL! I think that they knew that I couldn't put my bike down to defend myself. 

Right now I'm trying to salvage my cycling clothes. It's 50/50 on whether the Kenda logo will ever be white again. And my shorts...my poor, poor shorts. I always bring multiple shoes, glasses, gloves to endurance events and this past event was proof of why!

I do want to give mad props to the promoters of the race. They obviously couldn't control the weather, but they did a great job with everything else regarding the event. It was definitely one of the best promoted races that I've ever been to. And they give equal payouts to the females. Will I be back??? What do you think?

Below is a video interview of me when I had my first mechanical. It took Scott 1 hour and 45 minutes to get that bike clean, and that was only after 10 miles on the trail.  Another fun fact? One racer had their bike weighed after a lap and it was 100 pounds. Isn't that freaking insane? If I wasn't on the course I wouldn't believe it, but there were a few times where I couldn't lift or push my bike one inch. So I totally believe it. 

And now, without further ado... 

Danielle Musto VS. Mud  

P.S. I DID manage to get that chain out from behind my cassette!

P.P.S. I've been telling Scott that my legs have become super muscular from all of the intervals Lynda had me doing over the winter, but after watching this video I'm thinking I envision them as being a lot bigger then they really are :-)

P.P.P.S And speaking of Scott, I can never thank him enough for doing my support at this race. Even though I was gone for hours on end, he was stuck with the worst job of all...bike cleaning. I think it will be at least a year before I can convince him to come to another one of these :-)


10 comments:

Juli A. said...

Holy crap!

Krista Park said...

That was insane. Nice of you to give an interview mid-race/mechanical so we could all see how bad it was.

Ali B. said...

"I'm having a little bit of chain suck..." Wow!

Andrea said...

Can it really be that you are even tougher than I thought? I didn't think it was possible, but I can't think of anyone who wouldn't have just quit in those conditions. You are a machine! I want to be like you when I grow up. :-)

Lindsay said...

Yeah, I was kind of amazed at how nice you were, patiently answering his questions while trying to pry your chain loose.

Danielle said...

Yeah, the trail was so bad that I was past the point of being grumpy. It was more adventure race then bike race. I should have just put on my running shoes, taken off my wheels and run the course. Someone actually did that with a road bike later on in the day.

As for the interview, I'm not even sure where Colt came from. All I remember was seeing him come from the woods with a video camera. And he was very clean looking compared to the rest of us :-)

Alex Von said...

Oh wow! That's intense!

Jake said...

That picture of the drivetrain is amazing. I would have never guessed thats what it was suppose to be. I can't imagine a 100lbs of mud on a bike either thats just crazy.

Pete Hall said...

http://www.cyclingdirt.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234968-2009-dirt-sweat-gears/177236-jeremiah-bishop-race-leader-lap-3-mid-race-interview

About 20 seconds in, you can hear you yell "Oh my gosh! I fixed it!" through the woods. Classic.

oldmanandhisbike said...

Pete: Great find. That is just too damn funny! Bishop: Hi. Danielle: Hi-ee.
Crazy stuff. I thought mountain bikers were all rough and gruff and crazy, yelling at folks to get out of the way during races!
Oh, wait. That is just the folks trying to get around me!!
P.S. I think that mud puts the Holland KissCross race slop to shame. Didn't think that was possible.