Monday, March 30, 2009

Fisk Knob TT

Every year I find myself asking the same question at the start line of the Fisk Knob TT...

WHY? Why am I doing a road time trial???

Except for this year. When it was finally my time to go off I was too frozen to think.  We had some seriously nasty weather going on. Temps were in the low 30's, and it was raining and snowing. Oh, and definitely windy, but that's not a surprise. I've never been to Fisk Knob and had it NOT be windy. 

The hardest part for me was actually warming up. A lot of Velo Citizens showed up to race, and our friend Rick brought his motor home. It was so warm and cozy inside that 0% of me wanted to go sit outside in the rain/snow on a trainer. I ended up warming up on the road, but that didn't go very well. I mean, are you supposed to be shivering uncontrollably at the end of a warm-up?

Anyways, the actual TT is one long, cold blur. I did not feel like I was "one" with my road bike but that's because I never ride it. Hopefully I will be able to buy a power tap for my road bike someday (like when I win the lotto) but until then I do all of my training on my mountain bike. 

When all was said and done I ended up 3rd overall female, 1st in my age group. I also promise to never complain about it being hot during the summer. Someone just needs to remind me about this race! I think this is the first race where I never warmed up.

Thanks to Jeremy for my perfectly working bike, Glenn (he's new at Velo City) for standing at the start line with our jackets, and to Rick for sharing his motor home. That was a lifesaver. And special thanks to all of the race volunteers. Do you want to know what's harder then racing in snow and wind? Standing in snow and wind. The volunteers were out on the road for a few hours and still managed to cheer for us. That's completely awesome! 

Of course I'll be back next year!

9 comments:

allan said...

Congrats!!!! Those are some sucky conditions to race in. Kick ass job!

Andrea said...

Great job! You're so tough. It makes me feel like an even bigger wuss for complaining about how cold I was at the beginning of Barry-Roubaix.

Biking Badger said...

Well done on the result. Good to get the winter legs out the way

Jack said...

Good ride Danielle!!!
I was thinking of you while sitting under a nice warm fleece blanket, resting my legs from Barry-Roubaix. Oh what a nice sunny day we had :)

Carey said...

Good job ... but you are sick. Really, racing a road bike in the frickin' freezin' cold and wet. Probably not long enough to get in a really good work out, but long enough to become a popsicle. You Michiganders are a different breed!

Namrita O'Dea said...

Man, that sounds miserable!!! BUT Congrats, you did awesome!

Sonya said...

You are my hero :)

oldmanandhisbike said...

Danielle Bueller, you're my Hero!!
Congrats.
I know I wouldn't have be out there.

custom vitamins said...

Organic vitamins and herbs are being chosen by many people who are concerned about their health. Organic herbs and vitamins are those that are grown without the use of chemicals, either pesticides or non-organic fertilizers.